Human Services Association (HSA) was founded in 1940 as an outreach effort of the Presbyterian Church, when the floods in the southeast area highlighted the pre-existing problems of poverty in Bell Gardens and surrounding cities. While HSA remains affiliated with the Presbyterian Church, all services have been administered on a non-sectarian basis since 1975.
HSA’s patterns of service have evolved since its founding to meet the needs of the community. In the early years, under the name Westminster Center, recreation programs and group work was the focus. Thereafter, Westminster Center changed its name to Bell Gardens Community Center and become a multi-functional social service agency- Staff and volunteers provided direct services and additional services were provided onsite through collaborative work with other agencies. In 1974-1975, the organization envisioned expanding human services into the cities of southeast Los Angeles by increasing services and capacity for funding. This resulted in the incorporation of the organization and adoption of the name Human Services Association. Since then, HSA has emerged as the largest community-based nonprofit organization in southeast Los Angeles, providing an array of comprehensive services that support individuals throughout their lifespan, and serving clients throughout Los Angeles County.