Careers at Human Services Association
Child/Youth Advocate - Child Abuse Treatment Program
Posted: August 18, 2023
$21.00 - $24.00 per hour
PROGRAM: OES Child Abuse Treatment
STATUS: Full Time - Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Victim Services Supervisor
HOURS PER WEEK: 30
The Child/Youth Advocate supports victims impacted by crime, providing intake assessments, case management services such as legal aid advocacy, education on the justice system, court accompaniment, and referrals to relevant services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assess and complete intakes for children, youth, and caregivers.
• Create service plans, ensuring safety and coordinating assessment data.
• Offer case management, referral, and information services.
• Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team.
• Provide soft legal aid and court support, including court accompaniment.
• Assist with victim impact statements and restraining order services.
• Assist victims in accessing compensation benefits.
• Enhance protective factors within families.
• Attend case reviews and clinical training meetings.
• Collaborate with agencies and stakeholders.
• Participate in community engagement.
• Interface with various community systems.
• Maintains client records
• Prepare reports.
• Attend department, agency, and community meetings, as assigned.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Understand risk factors including domestic violence, mental health, etc.
• Grasp social work principles, criminal justice system, and youth risk factors.
• Culturally sensitive, experienced with underserved communities (e.g. people of color, LGBTQ+, etc.)
• Knowledge of the criminal justice system.
• Demonstrated independent judgment.
• Team collaboration abilities.
• Good communication and organizational skills.
• Ability to meet attendance standards and work additional hours as necessary.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
• Computer literate.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Education: Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or equivalent experience, law, social work or related field.
• Experience: Minimum two years’ experience in non-profit settings working with diverse, low-income families; experience working with victims of crime, domestic violence and/or other
types of trauma, highly desirable.
• Daily driving is required. Must provide own vehicle, valid California driver license and proof of full insurance coverage (name on insurance card).
• Certified as a Victim Advocate highly desired.
• Forty (40) Hour Domestic Violence certification highly desired.
• Negative tuberculosis screen (required).
• Must pass criminal background check.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job or that an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The Child/Youth Advocate’s work location is at the Bell Gardens, CA office and occasionally at the Monrovia, CA office with occasional travel throughout the region; the location has moderate noise levels and is a non-smoking environment.
• The majority of the job duties are performed both on-site; employee must climb up one flight of stairs and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Actual compensation offered may vary depending on skill level, experience, and/or education, and other factors permitted by law.
Human Services Association offers a competitive total rewards package for eligible employees, which may include medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401k, holiday pay, life insurance. Please see the Benefits Overview for additional information.
Thank you for your interest in Human Services Association.
To apply for this position, please click the button below, which will open a prepared email in your default email program. Simply attach your resume in .PDF or .DOC format to the email and click "send."
Resumes that are not in .PDF or .DOC format will not be considered. Please do not delete, change, or add more details to the email subject line.
If the position you are applying for has specific education, licensing, or certification requirements, please submit your unofficial transcripts and credentials alongside your resume.
If you experience difficulties sending your email via the button below, please send your resume to email@example.com and include 23FS10 Child/Youth Advocate - Child Abuse Treatment Program in the subject line.
We will review your background, and if the role is a match to your skills and experience, we will reach out to you to discuss next steps.
Any questions regarding this position or the application process should be directed to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click Here to Email Resume
Human Services Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. In addition, we complete criminal background checks via Live Scan method (fingerprinting) on all new hire employees.