Careers at Human Services Association
Counselor - Family Services
Posted: August 27, 2021
Full-Time Employee (12 months)
PROGRAM: CalWORKs Domestic Violence
STATUS: Full Time - Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Family/Community Services Director
HOURS PER WEEK: 40
• Under the supervision of the Family/Community Services Director, the Counselor will provide on-site and telehealth counseling and case management services for the CalWORKs Domestic Violence program. Telehealth services are facilitated on-site at HSA. May provide supervision of master-level interns.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides on-site and telehealth counseling, information and referral, and case management services to families affected by domestic/intimate partner violence.
• Conducts comprehensive assessments for adults and families under the program and as needed in collaboration with the Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) and the Department of Public Health (DPH).
• Provides group services (domestic violence etc.) as needed per program needs, as requested.
• Provides crisis intervention as needed to clients/families.
• Provide field instruction and supervision to MSW/MFT interns, as applicable.
• Participates in case reviews and case consultation; makes case presentations regarding clients currently on caseload.
• Adheres to child abuse reporting and legal and ethical standards.
• Coordinates & participates in peer review and quality assurance meetings as requested by Director.
• Maintains client records daily and prepares progress reports, including billing and statistical information as per program/contract requirements.
• Attends department, agency, and community meetings, as assigned.
• Receives supervision from a licensed therapist, as applicable.
• Related duties, as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of domestic violence, child abuse, substance abuse, mental health issues and other factors that contribute to violence.
• Knowledge of evidenced based practices highly desirable.
• Knowledge of CalWORKs highly desirable.
• Ability to follow program and agency policies and procedures.
• Proven competency skills, as well as the ability to exercise independent and good judgment.
• Ability to work well under pressure.
• Good organizational skills.
• Able to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Ability to meet attendance standards and work additional hours as necessary, including evening hours.
• Maintain high level of confidentiality.
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships.
• Ability to work effectively in a team setting.
• Preferred Bilingual (English/Spanish) highly desirable.
• Computer literate
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Education: Master’s degree in Social Work, Marriage Family Therapy or related field. No exceptions.
• Experience: Must have at least two years’ experience in working with families in provision of direct services to low-income and ethnically diverse clients in a non-profit setting; minimum two years’ experience providing services to families affected by domestic violence, substance abuse, mental health issues and other trauma.
• Licensed in Clinical Social Work (LCSW) / Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist or related field by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences; active status and in good standing, highly desirable but not required.
• Domestic Violence 40-hour training highly desirable.
• Driving is required on a daily basis. Must provide own vehicle, valid California driver license and proof of full insurance coverage (name must be on insurance card).
• Negative tuberculosis screen (required).
• Must pass a criminal background check.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job or that an employee encounters while performing
the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The work location is at the main building in Bell Gardens and may work 1-2 days in Monrovia. Some travel is required throughout the region; the locations have moderate noise levels and are considered a non-smoking environment.
• The majority of the job duties are performed on-site; employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Thank you for your interest in Human Services Association.
To apply for this position, please click the button below, which will open a prepared email in your default email program. Simply attach your resume to the email and click "send." Please do not delete, change, or add more details to the email subject line.
If you experience difficulties sending your email via the button below, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include 21FS13 Counselor - Family Services in the subject line.
We will review your background, and if the role is a match to your skills and experience, we will reach out to you to discuss next steps.
Any questions regarding this position or the application process should be directed to Human Resources at email@example.com.
Click Here to Email Resume
Human Services Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. In addition, we complete criminal background checks via Live Scan method (fingerprinting) on all new hire employees.