Careers at Human Services Association
Health Navigator - Family Services
Posted: August 26, 2021
PROGRAM: Children’s Health Outreach, Enrollment, Utilization, and Retention (CHOEUR)
STATUS: Full-time, Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Program Coordinator
HOURS PER WEEK: 40
Human Services Association requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
• Under the general supervision of the Program Coordinator, the Health Navigator is responsible to educate potential clients about health coverage programs, enroll clients into the appropriate coverage programs, assist with applications, and provide follow-up to ensure enrollment, utilization, and retention. In addition, the Health Navigator will conduct health education/ awareness to community residents who lack access to healthcare and health insurance, outreach activities will be done within Service Planning Area 7 in accordance to the scope of work of the CHOEUR project.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Will screen eligible clients for available health coverage programs.
• Will conduct application assistance, enrollment verification, utilization and redetermination assistance to clients in Service Planning Area 7.
• Responsible for managing clients’ files, ensuring proper documentation is filed, and all data is entered into the Los Angeles Department of Public Health internet based data tracking and reporting system.
• Develop and maintain a caseload according to the project’s scope of work objectives and needs.
• Conducts community outreach presentations to educate families about the available low or no cost health care coverage programs.
• Assist in the development and implementation of program outreach and enrollment initiatives.
• Tracks and accounts for program incentive items which are distributed on a monthly basis.
• Collects and enters outreach contact data into the Los Angeles Department of Public Health internet based data tracking and reporting system.
• Participate in mandatory trainings and program/agency meetings to maintain a general current knowledge of the health coverage programs and resources available.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Proficient verbal and written communication in English and Spanish.
• Able to work effectively both independently and collaboratively; self-starter.
• Excellent organizational, time management, and multitasking skills.
• Strong computer skills with proficiencies in Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, internet-based applications and the Microsoft operating system.
• Maintain a high level of confidentiality.
• Be punctual, highly responsible, and empathetic.
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships.
• Knowledge of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services and or the Department of Public Health programs, such as Medi-Cal, Covered California and County programs.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• BA/BS in Social Work, Human Services, or in related field. AA Degree with 2 years of experience working with non-profit community based organizations or social welfare programs.
• Public health coverage related experience is highly desirable.
• Past professional experience working with county or community based social services programs is highly desirable.
• Experience working with culturally diverse families and providing them with health/community resources.
• Valid California driver’s license and valid proof of liability insurance coverage.
• Annual tuberculosis screen (required).
• Must pass criminal background check.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job or that an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The Health Navigator work location is at the Bell Gardens, CA office with weekly travel throughout the service planning area 7; the location has moderate noise levels and is a non-smoking environment.
• The majority of the job duties are performed onsite, however, work at satellite locations or home visits may be required; employee must climb up one flight of stairs and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Thank you for your interest in Human Services Association.
To apply for this position, please click the button below, which will open a prepared email in your default email program. Simply attach your resume in .PDF or .DOC format to the email and click "send."
Resumes that are not in .PDF or .DOC format will not be considered. Please do not delete, change, or add more details to the email subject line.
If you experience difficulties sending your email via the button below, please send your resume to email@example.com and include 21FS11 Health Navigator - Family Services in the subject line.
We will review your background, and if the role is a match to your skills and experience, we will reach out to you to discuss next steps.
Any questions regarding this position or the application process should be directed to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click Here to Email Resume
Human Services Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. In addition, we complete criminal background checks via Live Scan method (fingerprinting) on all new hire employees.