Careers at Human Services Association
In Home Outreach Counselor
Posted: August 2, 2021
Full-Time Employee (12 months)
PROGRAM: Family Preservation
STATUS: Full-Time - Non Exempt
REPORTS TO: FP Clinical Supervisor
HOURS PER WEEK: 40
• Under the supervision of the Family Preservation Supervisor, provides in-home case management, teaching and demonstrating and in-home assessments for the Family Preservation program. The position requires excellent time management, organizational and writing skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Conducts comprehensive assessments for program clients, in collaboration with the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) and other stakeholders/organizations involved in case planning (Multidisciplinary Case Planning Committee – MCPC); caseload includes approximately 12 cases.
• Conducts case planning meetings and completes case plans as per program scope of work; monitors and re-evaluates progress made towards goals; makes adjustments and changes to goals as needed.
• Provides information and referral and case management services for clients.
• Provides in-home outreach counseling (case management) visits, supplemental and teaching and demonstrating services; schedule accommodated by clients’ schedule.
• Provides group services (parenting, domestic violence, etc.) as per program needs, as requested
• Completes case assessments (e.g., clinical assessments if candidate is a master-level and registered with the Board of Behavioral Sciences).
• Gathers contact and progress reports from all service providers involved in a case.
• Provides crisis intervention as needed to clients/families.
• Participates in case reviews and case consultation, as required/needed; makes case presentations on clients currently on caseload.
• Adheres to child abuse reporting and legal and ethical standards.
• Coordinates and participates in peer review as requested by supervisors.
• Maintains client records daily and prepares progress reports, including billing and statistical information as per program/contract requirements.
• Assists with administrative duties as needed.
• Communicates with DCFS, Probation and Mental Health Providers to address case issues.
• Attends department, agency, and community meetings, as assigned.
• Receives supervision from a licensed clinical supervisor.
• Related duties, as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of child abuse risk factors such as domestic violence, substance abuse, mental health issues and/other factors that contribute to child abuse.
• Knowledge of evidenced based practices, highly desirable.
• Knowledge of the Family Preservation program, highly desirable.
• Clinical skills, highly desirable.
• Ability to follow program and agency policies and procedures.
• Proven competency skills, as well as the ability to exercise independent and good judgment.
• Ability to work well under pressure.
• Good communication, organizational and writing skills required.
• Ability to meet attendance standards and work additional hours as necessary, including evening hours.
• Maintain high level of confidentiality.
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships.
• Ability to work effectively in a team setting.
• Preferred Bilingual (English/Spanish), highly desirable.
• Computer literate.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Education: Master’s degree in Social Work, Marriage Family Therapy or related field AND registered with the Board of Behavioral Sciences, Or, a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related field AND extensive experience providing case management services in a social setting.
• Experience: Must have at least two years’ experience in working with families and children in provision of direct services to low-income and ethnically diverse clients in a non-profit setting; minimum two years’ experience providing services to families affected by child abuse, domestic violence, substance abuse, mental health issues and other trauma; experience with diagnosing using the DSM V is highly desirable; provision of case management to families; and, experience working with the Family Preservation program is highly desirable.
• Driving is required on a daily basis. Must provide own vehicle, valid California driver license and proof of full insurance coverage (name must be on insurance card).
• Negative tuberculosis screen (required).
• Must pass criminal background check.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job or that an employee encounters while performing
the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The work site includes two locations: South Gate, CA and Bell Gardens. Travel is required on a daily basis throughout the region; the locations have moderate noise levels and are considered a non-smoking environment. Some telecommuting during COVID-19 may be accepted, as per the supervisor’s approval.
• The majority of the job duties are performed in the clients’ homes; employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Thank you for your interest in Human Services Association.
To apply for this position, please click the button below, which will open a prepared email in your default email program. Simply attach your resume in .PDF or .DOC format to the email and click "send."
Resumes that are not in .PDF or .DOC format will not be considered. Please do not delete, change, or add more details to the email subject line.
If you experience difficulties sending your email via the button below, please send your resume to email@example.com and include 21FS10 In Home Outreach Counselor in the subject line.
We will review your background, and if the role is a match to your skills and experience, we will reach out to you to discuss next steps.
Any questions regarding this position or the application process should be directed to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click Here to Email Resume
Human Services Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. In addition, we complete criminal background checks via Live Scan method (fingerprinting) on all new hire employees.