Careers at Human Services Association
Parent Educator - California Home Visitation Program - Family Services
Posted: March 10, 2023
$23.00 - $25.00 per hour
STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
HOURS PER WEEK: 40
REPORTS TO: Program Supervisor
Human Services Association requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
Under the supervision of the Program Supervisor for the California Home Visitation Program (CHVP), the Parent Educator provides education related to parenting and child development to families by utilizing the “Parents as Teachers” curriculum; conducts comprehensive case management services for high-risk families; establishes rapport, trust and professional relationships.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Manage/Maintain a caseload up to 20 families to meet contractual requirements.
• Complete the Parents as Teachers curriculum certification (if not certified) as well as
California Home Visitation Program (CHVP) and Department of Public Health (DPH) required trainings (within 3 months of hire) as provided and required by contract.
• Attend meetings and trainings as required by contract and agency. Continue professional growth by participating in classes, workshops and/or conferences, as the budget allows.
• Conduct intake and assessments for families referred by our affiliate programs.
• Review assessment and screening information with parents, develop action plans, program goals and review progress made on a quarterly basis or as required by program. Support the families with their achievement towards their goals.
• Conduct home visits 1-2 times a month based on the needs of the families by utilizing the Parents as Teachers curriculum and/or as required by contract.
• Conduct, coordinate and maintain a monthly socialization group for families.
• Conduct assessments of the parents and child (ren) as required in the contract.
• Develop, monitor, and review goals with each family.
• Provide support, comfort, resources and linkages to families in the program.
• Establish rapport, trust and a professional relationship with coworkers, supervisor, community and stakeholders.
• Participate in reflective supervision and administrative meetings held by supervisors.
• Maintain Quality Assurance/Continuous Quality Improvement standards as per contract and Parents as Teachers Affiliates.
• Support and assist other Parent Educators in their performance of duties, as needed.
• Establish and maintain a current and accurate record keeping system, within program procedures, with adequate provisions for confidentiality. Ensure all child/family files are up to date and accurate.
• Collaborate and maintain good relationship with other agencies.
• Renew Parent educator certification annually.
• Report to work at scheduled times, be open to flexible hours to meet the needs of the client and maintain good attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of stages of child development; strategies that promote bonding; proper nutrition, progressive parenting techniques or certification.
• Knowledge of child abuse risk factors such as domestic violence, substance abuse, mental health issues and/other factors that contribute to child abuse.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills (e.g., nonjudgmental, objective, reflective, empathic, patient, tactful).
• Strong organizational and record keeping skills.
• Ability to work independently, exercising good judgment and be self-motivated (often in the field).
• Computer skills, including web browsing, e-mail, internet, and word-processing.
• Communicate effectively in writing,
• Effective time management skills as it relates to 72-hour submission of all required family and program documentation.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) highly desirable, but not required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science or four-year degree in early childhood education, social work, health, psychology or a related field, is recommended. Associate’s Degree with applicable experience will be considered.
• Two (2) to (3) years of experience in early childhood, social services, or a family support program working with at-risk or high-risk families with children under the age of three (3) years.
• Experience working with culturally diverse families; and have knowledge of community resources available for families of young children.
• First Aid & Child CPR certified, desired
• Driving is required. Must provide own vehicle, valid California driver license and proof of liability insurance.
• Negative tuberculosis screen (required).
• Must pass criminal background check.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job or that an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job. The Parent Educator’s work location is at the Bell Gardens, California, offices with weekly travel throughout the region; the location has moderate noise levels and is a non-smoking environment.
• The majority of the job duties are performed in clients’ homes; employee must be able to climb up one flight of stairs and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
In accordance with CA law, the expected pay range for this CA position is posted with this position. The actual compensation will be determined based on experience and other factors permitted by law.
Thank you for your interest in Human Services Association.
To apply for this position, please click the button below, which will open a prepared email in your default email program. Simply attach your resume in .PDF or .DOC format to the email and click "send."
Resumes that are not in .PDF or .DOC format will not be considered. Please do not delete, change, or add more details to the email subject line.
If you experience difficulties sending your email via the button below, please send your resume to email@example.com and include 23FS3 Parent Educator - California Home Visitation Program - Family Services in the subject line.
We will review your background, and if the role is a match to your skills and experience, we will reach out to you to discuss next steps.
Any questions regarding this position or the application process should be directed to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click Here to Email Resume
Human Services Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. In addition, we complete criminal background checks via Live Scan method (fingerprinting) on all new hire employees.