Careers at Human Services Association
Program Aide - CA State Preschool Program
Posted: February 3, 2023
$20.00 - $22.00 per hour
STATUS: Full-Time - Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Child Development Coordinator and Lead Teacher
HOURS PER WEEK: 32.5
TERM: 12 Months
Human Services Association (HSA) is a private nonprofit agency whose principal mission is to provide families with compassionate and comprehensive care to promote wellness and build strong communities. HSA was founded in Bell Gardens in 1940 and today, HSA serves over 20,000 clients annually on a non-sectarian basis with a range of services that addresses the unique and shared needs of clients of all ages.
Our Early Childhood Education Department provides services to 800 children over three distinct programs (Early Head Start, Head Start and State Preschool) at ten school sites. The California State Preschool Program provides a pre-school experience for children ages 3 to 5 in the cities of South Gate and Huntington Park. The Early Head Start Program is a federally funded program that provides a home based and center based program for pregnant women and children ages 0-3 that reside in zip codes of 90201 and 90280. The Head Start Program offers a comprehensive child development program for low-income preschoolers ages three to five years old that reside in zip code 90280.
Under the supervision of the Child Development Coordinator and guidance from the Lead Teacher, the Program Aide will support the site by following educational instruction and providing instruction with the Teacher’s guidance. The program aide will also support covering breaks, preparing meals, setting up the classrooms and ensuring the health and safety of children and families is maintained at all times. Ensures all program activities in all service areas and ensure the program meets or exceeds funding source requirements based on the performance standards, Title 22, and title V regulations. Adheres and complies with program regulations and other relevant regulations in all ECE programs.
Duties And Responsibilities:
• Supervise and coordinate curriculum activities as assigned by Lead Teacher.
• Implement and plan school readiness and curriculum activities as directed by the Lead Teacher.
• Ensure the health and safety of all children and parents in the program.
• Conduct and coordinate small group and large group activities.
• Assist children with physical, emotional needs and overall development.
• Provide on-going supervision of indoor and outdoor play areas.
• Actively participate in all child activities.
• Assist in conducting daily health checks of each child.
• Assist in the implementation of nutrition and health activities and complete meal counts.
• Ensure the kitchen area and site is clean; by cleaning up, sweeping, wiping, throwing away trash and preparing the next meal.
• Provide nurturing care and guidance to each child.
• Report to work at scheduled times and maintain good attendance.
• Participate with a positive attitude and behavior in all program activities.
• Model the Standard of Conduct Policy when interacting with parents, community members and Colleagues
• In accordance with our “team” philosophy, the person filling this position may occasionally be required to carry out or assist with other tasks in addition to the duties listed on this job description
• Staff must believe in and act in accordance with both the Agency’s and the program’s mission/vision statements, adopted theoretical frameworks, and philosophy.
• Identify and report any suspected incidents of child abuse (following the Mandated Reporter Guidelines)
• Communicates with children, families and other staff in respectful and culturally sensitive manner
• Maintains confidentiality of children, families and employees of HSA
• Works as member of agency team by promoting the mission and philosophy of HSA
• Represents HSA at community and professional functions, as needed.
• Attend department, agency, and community meetings and trainings, as assigned. Continue professional growth by participating in classes, training programs, workshops and/or conferences, as the budget allows.
• Willing to work evenings, weekends and to travel locally and out of the service area for trainings.
• Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor and/or Department Director
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
• Knowledge of child growth and development.
• Work effectively with individuals of diverse educational, socio-economic, and cultural backgrounds, and those with disabilities and special needs.
• Participate in a positive team atmosphere.
• Be patient, able to resolve conflicts, gentle, loving, kind, creative, and resourceful.
• Use excellent problem solving, planning, and organizational skills.
• Be detailed and multi-task with a strong desire to succeed.
• Cope well with stress.
• Organized and able to successfully meet daily objectives; have the ability to lead team atmosphere; have mediation and negotiation skills; possess effective conflict resolution skills.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing using correct English (spelling, grammar, vocabulary and punctuation).
• Preferred Bilingual (English/Spanish); effective oral and written communication.
Education And Experience:
• High school diploma or GED, Associate of Art (AA) degree in Early Childhood Education or a related field, preferred.
• Possess or meet requirements for Associate Teacher Permit.
• Minimum one (1) year of experience working with preschool children, infants and toddlers; two to three (2-3) years of customer service experience a preferred.
• Knowledge and experience working with Head Start Performance Standards, Title V, Title 22, CACFP Regulations and other State and Federal Regulations
• Possess or meet requirements for Associate Teacher Permit or higher.
• Occasional driving is required.
• Must provide own vehicle, valid California driver license and proof of full insurance coverage.
• First Aid certification, Child CPR certification.
• Health screening:
o Negative tuberculosis screen (TB)(required).
o TDAP or DTAP clearance (required)
o MMR Clearance (required)
• Must pass criminal background check including Live Scan (fingerprinting)
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job or that an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Program Aide work location can be in any one of the following cities: Bell Gardens, Huntington Park or South Gate, CA. As needed, the Program Aide will drive to different site locations and training sites (this includes HSA’s main office, Clarendon office, or location to be announced). The majority of the job duties are performed within the preschool classroom. These tasks require the following physical demands which include but are not limited to: constant walking, bending; occasional lifting (25 pounds), pushing, squatting and climbing stairs (as needed) in the office or at one of the preschool sites (indoor/outdoor) or in the classroom. The employee will complete required documentation (as indicated in the job description) a location with moderate noise levels, peanut free, and that it is a non-smoking facility.
In accordance with CA law, the expected pay range for this CA position is posted with this position. The actual compensation will be determined based on experience and other factors permitted by law.
Thank you for your interest in Human Services Association.
To apply for this position, please click the button below, which will open a prepared email in your default email program. Simply attach your resume in .PDF or .DOC format to the email and click "send."
Resumes that are not in .PDF or .DOC format will not be considered. Please do not delete, change, or add more details to the email subject line.
If the position you are applying for has specific education, licensing, or certification requirements, please submit your unofficial transcripts and credentials alongside your resume.
If you experience difficulties sending your email via the button below, please send your resume to email@example.com and include 23EC3 Program Aide - CA State Preschool Program in the subject line.
We will review your background, and if the role is a match to your skills and experience, we will reach out to you to discuss next steps.
Any questions regarding this position or the application process should be directed to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click Here to Email Resume
Human Services Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. In addition, we complete criminal background checks via Live Scan method (fingerprinting) on all new hire employees.